North Yorkshire Sport Ltd recognises the importance of engaging Trustees with the right skills, experience and who have a genuine desire to help improve the lives of people in York and North Yorkshire through movement, physical activity and sport. Our Trustees will work alongside the staff team to advance the purposes of our charity for public benefit and who will carry out the specific duties set out by the Charity Commission (including how Trustees should govern their charity and conduct themselves). It is because of this that we have developed a robust Trustee recruitment process.
- Identify the need and define the Trustee role
- Advertise the vacancy
- Candidates asked to apply via the North Yorkshire Sport Website -Candidates are asked to outline their skills and experience in an accompanying cover letter, upload a CV, complete a short equality monitoring questionnaire and provide contacts for two references. Applications are submitted to Julie Somerville (Business & HR Officer) – Julie@northyorkshiresport.co.uk. Candidates are asked to outline their reasons for wanting to join the North Yorkshire Sport Board, highlight their skills and experience as relevant to the vacancy they are looking to apply for and more broadly how they think they could contribute to North Yorkshire Sport and our charitable mission, vision and strategic outcomes.
- Once the application deadline has passed, applications received are reviewed and shortlisted by the Chief Executive, Chair of the Board and other Trustees as neccessary.
- Shortlisted candidates are invited to interview. The interviews are held face-to-face where possible. The interviews are conducted by the Chief Executive, the Chair of the Board and other Trustees as required
- The Chief Executive, Chair of the Board and any additional Trustees involved in the process will then decide, based on the interviews, application materials, and reference checks, which candidate/s are most suitable for the Trustee position/s.
- Appointments will be made subject to ratification by the main North Yorkshire Sport Board, receipt of satisfactory references and the completion of declaration of interests and declaration of good character forms.
- All new Trustees are then invited to North Yorkshire Sport to spend some time with the Senior Leadership Team, to meet the wider team and to familiarise themselves with the organisation’s operations, governance structure, programs, and key stakeholders.
All newly appointed trustees of North Yorkshire Sport are required to complete a range of documents as part of our Trustee recruitment process.
Trustees are asked to sign and return the following documents:
- Governance of North Yorkshire Sport Ltd (2017)
- Duties of Trustees (July 2018)
- Trustee Job Description
- North Yorkshire Sport Matters Reserved for the Board
- NYS Code of Conduct for Trustees
- NYS Conflict of Interest Policy & Declaration Form
- NYS Good Character Form
- NYS Fit and Proper Guidance
- NYS Fit and Proper Declaration
- NYS Equality & Diversity Policy
- NYS General Expenses Policy
- NYS Trustee and Staff Succession Plan
- NYS Trustee Skills Matrix
- NYS Financial Controls Policy
- NYS GDPR Statement for Trustees
Trustees are also asked to read the following good practice guides:
- The Charity Commission – The Essential Trustee Guide
- Charity Commission – 15 Finance Questions Trustees Should Ask