Who can join a walk?
Wellbeing walks are open to access by the general public.
Find a Walk in your area
All walks are led by trained walk leaders across North Yorkshire, and provide a great opportunity not only to improve your health through regular walking but also to explore your local area whilst meeting new people. Walks aim to be suitable for people of all ages and abilities and our leaders will ensure that you walk at a pace that you find comfortable.
Find your local Ramblers group from the list below or go to the main Ramblers Wellbeing Walks North Yorkshire page.
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks North Craven Strollers
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks Skipton Craven Walkers
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks South Craven Walkers
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks Hambleton Strollers
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks Richmondshire
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks Stepping Out – Scarborough
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks Masham Strollers
Who can be a walk leader?
Walk leaders will be responsible for leading wellbeing walks. There are existing groups that you may be able to join, but more often than not, you as a newly trained walk leader you may like to create a group. Groups run best when there are multiple walk leaders so that the responsibility is shared.
All you need is a passion for walking, be a ‘people’ person i.e. good communication skills, friendly and welcoming, and keen to lead and support others to discover the wonders of walking.
No previous experience is needed as full training and ongoing support will be provided. So whether you’re an existing volunteer looking to develop new skills, work with a community group or organisation or simply love walking, we want to hear from you!
Why become a Walk Leader?
There are many reasons why and here’s just a few;
- Opportunity to develop your own Ramblers Wellbeing Walking group
- Lead a social, healthy and welcoming activity.
- Meet new people and develop new skills
- Get to know your local area better and discover those hidden gems on your doorstep
Role of a Walk Leader and the support you receive
A Walk Leader is asked to:
- Deliver at least one guided walk per month, taking perhaps 2 hours of your time.
- Establish and begin leading walks within 3 months of attending the training.
- Promote your walks locally (North Yorkshire Sport ) will support with this.
- Keep a risk assessment of your planned routes and review as required.
- Take responsibility for ensuring that the necessary paperwork is maintained, up to date and forwarded to the relevant organisation (either North Yorkshire Sport or Ramblers)
- Maintain a record of the number of walks delivered and the number of attendees
- Share good news stories, photos and videos of your walks alongside North Yorkshire Sport.
In return you will receive:
- Walk leader training accredited through the National Ramblers Wellbeing Walk programme which includes Public Liability Insurance.
- Access to the National Ramblers Wellbeing Walk resources section of the website.
- Marketing and communication resources such as poster templates, volunteer recruitment posters, social media guidance, images, and logos.
- Regular updates from the Scheme Coordinator
For further information about walk leader training, please contact the North Yorkshire walking groups on the link below :-
Ramblers Wellbeing Walk Leaders – Expression of Interest Form
If you are interested in becoming a Walk Leader as part of the North Yorkshire Ramblers Wellbeing Walks Programme, please complete the ‘Expression of Interest’ form below.
‘A form to include data capture of name, postcode and email address that will go to Lucy@northyorkshiresport.co.uk – similar to the one at the end of this page https://www.northyorkshiresport.co.uk/ramblers-wellbeing-walks’